Partner links
Error processing request

Posts Tagged ‘Welterweight’

Somebody just got run over in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and believe it or not, the driver was not former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Instead, it appears to be ex-UFC welterweight Henry Martinez, who is accused of plowing through a bicyclist on I-25 and leaving the scene of an accident, in addition to driving on a revoked license, according to KRQE.com.

But he didn’t get very far.

That’s because a concerned citizen, who just so happened to be packing heat, was able to track down the inactive mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter and hold him at gunpoint until police arrived. Fortunately, the victim was treated at the scene and is expected to make a full recovery.

Martinez (9-4) hasn’t competed in combat sports for over three years and made his final Octagon appearance in defeat to Daron Cruickshank at the UFC on FOX 5 event back in late 2012.

View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley makes his first title defense in the Big Apple on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden against No. 2-ranked Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson. Woodley won the title in July with a first-round knockout win against Robbie Lawler, who had defended the championship twice in one of the most talent-rich divisions in the UFC. Wonderboy has won seven in a row, including signature wins against former champion Johny Hendricks and title contender Rory MacDonald. Thompson is a karate fighter who has evolved into a well-round mixed martial artist since transitioning to MMA fr … Read the Full Article Here

View full post on UFC News

“Killa B” is back! After last competing inside the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon this past January, welterweight finisher Ben Saunders has made his way back onto the promotional roster. Saunders, 33, revealed he had re-signed with UFC earlier this week via Twitter (shown below), which was later confirmed by MMA Fighting.

Luckily for both parties involved, Saunders did not exit UFC nine months ago with any malice in his heart. After getting finished by promotional veteran Patrick Cote via second-round TKO at UFC Fight Night 81, Saunders’ contract expired and he simply walked away. Before the loss to Cote, “Killa B” had racked off three-straight victories in the ultra-deep welterweight division, including a Performance of the Night submission (omoplata) and a first-round TKO finish of veteran Joe Riggs.

Earlier this month, Saunders made quick work of former UFC fighter Jacob Volkman by way of first-round submission at Fight Night at the Island. That was all UFC needed to see to snag Saunders back off the open market and quickly re-insert him into the competitive 170-pound class. His next fight has yet to be scheduled.

According to MMA Fighting, Saunders is subject to be tested by United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) for four months before his return considering he left the testing pool earlier this year.

View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley might now know the name Luan Chagas just yet, but if “Tarzan” has his way, that will all change soon enough.

“I will be a UFC champion,” Chagas told MMAjunkie in his native Portuguese. “That’s my goal. It always was. It continues to be.”

Chagas made his debut at May’s blockbuster UFC 198 in Brazil, stepping in on late notice to have a heavily favored Sergio Moraes. Despite the overwhelming odds, it was Chagas who charged out to a quick start, rocking Moraes on a few occasions before tiring in the later rounds and settling for a split-draw result, which one could easily see as a bit of a moral victory.

Chagas does believe he showed some of his upside in the matchup but also knows he’s got more to give.

“I watched my fight against ‘Serginho’ Moraes several times after the fact,” Chagas said. “I was able to pinpoint my errors. I think ‘Serginho’ is one of the top names in our weight class. It’s no surprise he was on a four-fight winning streak, with wins over four very tough opponents. He’s a great name in jiu-jitsu.

“I was happy I was able to impose my game. Like I said before the fight, I wanted to show who Luan Chagas is and what I can do in the UFC. I demonstrated that I won’t be putting on bad fights.”

Chagas (14-1-1 MMA, 0-0-1 UFC) returns to action at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 event, where he takes on Erick Silva (18-7 MMA, 6-6 UFC) at Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in the Brazilian capital of Brasilia. The majority of the card airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

Chagas is actually a slight favorite, according to the oddsmakers, but he insists he’s aware that Silva is always dangerous in the cage.

“Erick Silva is a versatile fighter,” Chagas said. “He moves forward. I do think he’s dangerous against any fighter.”

That said, Chagas also believes Silva’s up-and-down track record has proven that he’s beatable on any given night.

And Chagas plans on doing exactly that, and doing it quickly.

“He has heavy hands, he’s fast, and has a pretty good ground game, but he has a lot of holes in his game,” Chagas said. “My team and I are working on that. The holes in his game match up very well with my strong suits. I expect to win in the first round, either standing or on the ground.”

If things go the way Chagas plans, the preliminary card fight could prove an early highlight of the evening. The 23-year-old Brazilian hopes it will be memorable enough, in fact, to earn him an extra $50,000.

“I like opponents who always walk forward and look for the fight, like I do,” Chagas said. “That way, we can put on a show. I’m looking to get an ‘of the night’ bonus. It will not be a boring fight at all.”

But for Chagas, UFC Fight Night 95 is just one step on the path he ultimately believes will take him all the way to the top of the promotion’s 170-pound division.

“Now, more than ever, my goal is the UFC belt,” Chagas said. “If anything, my first UFC fight showed that I’m not lacking in any area against any UFC fighter. I can beat anyone with a proper training camp, which is the case now.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 95, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Filed under: News, UFC

View full post on News | MMAjunkie

Sage Northcutt’s father recently stated that his son and rising Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) contender was unable to accept Mickey Gall’s challenge to a fight at UFC 205 on Nov. 12, 2016 in New York due to limited training as result of staph infection.

That said, Sage confirms that he does indeed want the fight, just one month later.

“Me and my team reached out UFC. That’s great with me and I am looking forward to it,” said Northcutt on a recent appearance on The MMA Hour. “There is nothing confirmed. We are talking to UFC about it and hopefully in December, that’s what we are looking at.”

Furthermore, Northcutt is glad to let it go down at welterweight, as he says he struggled quite a bit to hit the 155-pound mark in his previous outings.

“I like the fact that it’s 170 for this fight because my previous fights I’ve had trouble making weight (for lightweight). So after this fight, I’m going to go back and figure it out.”

Still, “Super” isn’t abandoning 155 pounds for good, as he says he will go back down to his original weight class. And though his lone loss inside the Octagon came at 170 pounds to Bryan Barberena, Northcutt says he has no issues fighting “bigger” men.

As far as Gall as an opponent, Northcutt says nothing really stands out to him, saying that his undefeated record doesn’t show much, either, as his previous two foes — CM Punk included — had little-to-no mixed martial arts (MMA) experience.

“His previous two fights in the UFC, he came in and fought two guys, which I’ve never seen happen before, that had an MMA record of nothing,” said Northcutt.

“They had no pro MMA record, no amateur MMA record. They had no fights at all. Him going in and fighting guys with no experience, both close to 40 years old, it’s like fighting someone’s dad that has trained very little for a fight.”

He’s not lying.

That said, Gall is more than confident he can take out his fellow “Looking for a Fight’” alum once the cage door closes. A sentiment Sage obviously disagrees with.

“All I can say is that I have better grappling than him and I believe I have better standup. If I go out there, I can take the fight wherever I want. If I want to go out there and knock him out, I can do that,” said Northcutt. “If I want to take him down and submit him, then I believe I can do that also.”

Call me crazy, but I’m looking forward to this eventual showdown of rising contenders.

View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts

Ben Askren will likely defend his One Championship welterweight crown on Dec. 17 at Impact Arena in Bangkok, Thailand.

View full post on Recent News on Sherdog.com


Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos

Tyron Woodley may have wanted a “money fight” against Nick Diaz or Georges St-Pierre in his first welterweight title defense, but it will be Stephen Thompson standing across the octagon at UFC 205.

Woodley (16-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) confirmed the bout with Thompson (13-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) on the pre-show for the UFC Fight Night 94 ceremonial weigh-ins.

UFC 205 takes place Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The event airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.

Woodley, the No. 1 ranked fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, captured the title with a first-round knockout of Robbie Lawler at UFC 201. Thompson had established his position as the top contender to the belt – and No. 2 ranking – with a dominant unanimous decision win over Rory MacDonald a month earlier at UFC Fight Night 89.

While Thompson’s seven-fight winning streak and increasingly dominant performances earned UFC President Dana White’s seal of approval as the first challenger to Woodley’s crown, the allure of big dollars to face St-Pierre or Diaz in their octagon returns had Woodley at odds with the UFC.

The situation appears to have been settled, however, and the UFC’s first trip to New York City has its first title fight.

With the addition, the latest UFC 205 card now includes:

  • champ Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson – for welterweight title
  • Yoel Romero Chris Weidman
  • Rashad Evans vs. Tim Kennedy
  • Thiago Alves vs. Al Iaquinta
  • Marcos Rogerio de Lima vs. Gian Villante
  • Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum

For more on UFC 205, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.


Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos

View full post on News | MMAjunkie

After some posturing and angling for “money fights,” reigning welterweight champ Tyron Woodley will defend his belt against top contender Stephen Thompson at UFC 205.

View full post on Recent News on Sherdog.com

Although UFC welterweight Matt Brown estimates he’s probably suffered “hundreds” of concussions in his fighting career, he got his first official diagnosis in 2015.

The treatment he subsequently received was an experience he’d rather forget.

“I had to sit in my room for 10 days with no lights, no loud noises, no TV, no reading,” Brown told MMAjunkie Radio. “Like, literally stare at the wall and do nothing for 10 days, like jail.”

It’s for that reason that Brown isn’t in a rush to return to the octagon two months after suffering his first TKO loss in a fight against Jake Ellenberger at UFC 201.

Ellenberger (31-11 MMA, 9-8 UFC) caught Brown (20-15 MMA, 13-9 UFC) early with a punch and knocked him off his feet, though Brown was able to recover and give chase for a counterattack. When a body kick caught him flush, however, he quickly faded as Ellenberger landed more punches.

Brown maintains he wasn’t knocked out, but he’s nonetheless concerned about long-term damage. That’s a serious shift for a fighter known as one of the more gritty competitors in the cage.

“It’s the first time from a head shot that I’ve been dropped in my entire life, and I’ve sparred with heavyweights and big guys,” said Brown. “I hope that I can speak near-full sentences when I’m done fighting.”

Brown admits he couldn’t do so after that first concussion. He said he would get up from bed to use the restroom and suddenly fall, not knowing why.

“Now that I’ve been through that, I want to be extra careful,” he said.

This week, Brown started thinking about a return to the octagon after taking the first vacation of his adult life at a Legoland theme park. He had his first training session earlier this week and would like to fight by the end of the year or early next year.

“I would love New York (at UFC 205), but I’m really fat right now,” Brown said.

The loss left Brown with a 1-4 record in his past five outings, which makes his road to a title shot longer than ever. Although his recent fights haven’t gone his way, he said he hasn’t lost sight of his motivation and is still driven to be the best welterweight he can be.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the external motivation of winning the UFC belt, he said. Instead, he likes to think in terms of internal motivation, of the fulfillment of performing at his best every time he steps into the octagon.

“There’s still a lot of hunger in my heart,” Brown said. “I’m still pressing toward the ultimate goal. I still, to this day, remember my motivation. I still remember what it’s like to go to a UFC and have that dream in my head.”

There are signs along the way that keep him focused on that dream. Attending this past Saturday’s UFC 203, he was approached by the sister of welterweight prospect Mickey Gall, who dominated former pro-wrestling champ Phil “CM Punk” Brooks.

“She had a tear in her eye, saying how I inspired her,” Brown said. “That put a tear in my eye, too.”

So Brown will pick himself back up and begin the process of sharpening his skills. This time, though, he’ll try to avoid unnecessary damage.

View full post on News | MMAjunkie

Jordan Mein is the latest fighter to experience a short-lived retirement from MMA competition.

After announcing in August 2015 that he was done with the sport at age 25, Mein (29-10 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is plotting a comeback to competition as soon as possible.

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten revealed the news on a recent edition of “The Joe Rogan Experience” podcast. MMAjunkie confirmed his comments with Mein’s head coach and father, Lee Mein.

Mein is still only 26, but he’s a well-traveled veteran of the sport with 39 professional bouts and a career that began in June 2006.

The Canadian welterweight spent time in Strikeforce and the UFC before hanging up his gloves with a winning record in both promotions. His three combined losses in the promotions came against highly regarded fighters in current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, as well as longtime contenders Matt Brown and Thiago Alves.

Mein’s UFC contract froze when he announced his retirement, but now that he’s ready to get back in the octagon, he must first handle some administrative dealings.

Before competing Mein must go through a four-month testing period required by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which oversees the UFC’s drug testing program, for athletes coming out of retirement. Exemptions from the period have been made for the likes of former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, who made a surprise return to the sport at UFC 200 in July, but it doesn’t appear Mein will pursue that option.

According to James Lynch of FloCombat, Mein officially entered the USADA testing pool this past month, which, depending on the exact date, could possibly line “Young Gun” up for a slot of the UFC 206 card at Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Dec. 10.

Mein’s most recent victory came at UFC Fight Night 49 in August 2014 when he scored a 72-second knockout of longtime MMA veteran Mike Pyle. After that he suffered a second-round TKO loss to Alves at UFC 183 in January 2015 in what would be his final bout before announcing his retirement.

For more on the UFC schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.


Filed under: News, UFC

View full post on News | MMAjunkie

Partner links
Error processing request